to display context-
sensitive ads on this
page. Learn how to
manage Google cookies
by visiting the
Google Technologies Centre
▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
This is a family of 80 species of tropical and subtropical water plants classified in 16 genera.
[Summary yet to be added]
- Ottelia alismoides Pers.
- [syn. Stratiotes alismoides L.]
The plant is listed as being rubefacient (Quisumbing 1951).
- Stratiotes aloides L.
- [syns Stratiotes aquaticus Pall., Stratiotes ensiformis Gilib., Stratiotes generalis E.H.L.Krause]
- Knight's Woundwort, Water Aloe, Water Houseleek, Water Soldier, Wasserfeder
The narrow sword-shaped leaves of this water plant bear sharp prickles along their edges, which can cause mechanical injury in those who pull the plant by hand.
According to Grieve (1931),the herb assuages swelling and inflammations in wounds; and an ointment made of it is good to heal them. The plant had in olden times the reputation of being an unfailing cure for all wounds made by iron weapons.
- Grieve M (1931) A Modern Herbal. The medicinal, culinary, cosmetic and economic properties, cultivation and folk-lore of herbs, grasses, fungi, shrubs & trees with all their modern scientific uses, 1 & 2. London: Jonathan Cape [WorldCat] [url]
- Quisumbing E (1951) Medicinal Plants of the Philippines. Technical Bulletin 16, Philippines Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources. Manila, Philippine Islands: Manila Bureau of Printing [WorldCat]
[ * BoDD Home Page * ][ * Plant Families Index * ]
[ * Top of this document * ]