to display context-
sensitive ads on this
page. Learn how to
manage Google cookies
by visiting the
Google Technologies Centre
▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼
▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲ ▲
About 170 species in 32 genera are found in tropical regions but also in South Africa as trees or shrubs, or as as stemless or climbing herbs (Mabberley 2017).
[Summary yet to be added]
- Caloncoba echinata (Oliv.) Gilg
- [syn. Oncoba echinata Oliv.]
In Ivory Coast the pounded seeds are used sometimes with success against lice and mange; and a lotion prepared from this plant is used in Guinea and Sierra Leone for pustular eruptions of the skin (Kerharo & Bouquet 1950, Irvine 1961).
- Carpotroche amazonica Mart. ex Eichler
- [syn. Mayna amazonica (Mart. ex Eichler) J.F.Macbr.]
According to a note found on an herbarium specimen collected in Colombia, the bark is used as a caustic (von Reis Altschul 1973).
- Hydnocarpus pentandrus (Buch.-Ham.) Oken
- [syn. Hydnocarpus wightianus Blume]
[Information available but not yet included in database]
- Irvine FR (1961) Woody Plants of Ghana. With special reference to their uses. London: Oxford University Press [doi] [WorldCat] [url] [url-2]
- Kerharo J, Bouquet A (1950) Plantes Médicinales et Toxiques de la Côte d'Ivoire — Haute-Volta. Mission d'Étude de la Pharmacopée indigène en A. O. F. Paris: Vigot Frères [doi] [WorldCat] [url] [url-2]
- Mabberley DJ (2017) Mabberley's Plant-Book. A portable dictionary of plants, their classification and uses, 4th edn. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press [WorldCat] [doi] [url]
- von Reis Altschul S (1973) Drugs and Foods from Little-Known Plants. Notes in Harvard University Herbaria. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press [WorldCat] [doi] [url] [url-2]